Tuesday 13 December 2011

SALZBURG WANDERINGS



This is the sight that can be seen from so many spots in Salzburg.  The Hohensalzburg, medieval castle built over 900 years ago.

You can walk up to see it and the spectacular views or take the funicular, the cost of which usually includes entry to the castle.  As I saw this a long time ago, walking then, I decided not to go again although I would have enjoyed the funicular ride.

This is a lovely clean city.  The lines of the buildings are elegant, some with colours and others austere looking.  Regardless, they all look dignified.




The trams glide along quietly in their efficient way.  For a few hours I was puzzled as to why it all seemed so quiet, then I realised that I had spent 3 weeks in Italy where everyone seems to feel obliged to lean on their horns at the slightest perceived delay or aggravation.




These gorgeous fellows were obediently following their family around the Christmas markets and just as obediently sat whilst some other people took their photo.  Naturally I took the opportunity.

Christmas trees were for sale all across the city.  I wanted to buy one.  Can't take that on the train with me I already have enough to carry.

as always the town is dominated by the towering mountains that surround it, some parts dusted with snow

Chess board set out in the square

Bikes are ridden everywhere here, this lot were outside a little grocery type store.  They look as if they are having a chat while their owners are inside.

Can't say I've ever considered riding a bike in a skirt, stockings and high heels before.  She is much braver than me.

Not sure if this tree was wrapped in a blanket for the cold or if it was making a statement of some sort.




Kids having a great time on an ice skating rink in this square.




This was a shop completely devoted to Christmas decorations.  You can see how big it is, there were several rooms that led into one another, all with different colours.  There were lots of egg shells decorated with different christmas patterns.  Quite expensive and not for travelling back to Australia.


 These few photos were taken at 4.30pm Monday afternoon.  By the time I returned to the hotel 15 minutes later it was almost full dark and drizzling.
And no doubt even colder than it was 45 minutes beforehand.



These horse drawn carriages slowly make their way around the city in amongst the cars.  It is a charming sight.  I hope it successfully comes through on the blog.  (sorry about the sniff, my nose was cold)

Au wiedersehen

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment