Saturday 10 December 2011

Last day in Florence


My last day in Florence ended here, the Ponte Vecchio, where goldsmiths have plied their trade for hundreds of years.  It's a wonder the bridge doesn't collapse from all that gold as it certainly looks as though it could give way at any moment. 



Before I arrived at that point however, I paid a visit to this place, the lowly laundromat.  Lowly that is until you need one and have to walk around for an hour before you find one open on a public holiday in Italy.



It cost me an arm and a leg and I lost two items of clothing to boot.  Thems the breaks!  The fact that the rest of the clothes were clean was cause for great relief.   Back to a public holiday in Italy.
I've come to the conclusions that the Italians love to 'promenade'. Except for when they come to a dead stop in front of you of course whilst they peruse the shop windows. 
On my way to the Ponte Vecchio I passed this line of people waiting to enter the hallowed halls of Tiffany & co. The guard at the door lets you in when a certain number of people have left.




Some of us will do anything for a photo.

The light was fading after a lovely day of sunshine (where's your hills hoist when you need it??)

 People crowded the bridge, taking photos while others took photos of them including me.
 They swarmed over the bridge, 99% of them just looking I'm sure as the prices of the gold is quite exorbitant.  Just WHO buys it?
crowd on the Ponte Vecchio
street artist

looking back up the hill to where 'DAVID' stands

decorations for christmas everywhere

not sure where they were going with this boat but it looked serious

more Christmas lights


always a battle to see who is gong to win right of way, neither party is interested in giving an inch




Ready to move on the next day as I was, it was delightful to see Florence decked out in these delicate colours.  Considering that this time last year they had several inches of unexpected and early snow it was definitely a bonus.

Verona next

ciao

jo

No comments:

Post a Comment