Friday 9 September 2011

Rainy Spring morning and Lemon Meringue Pie



After a lovely week of spring weather this morning we have a  rainy spring morning.  It is actually quite heavy and the wind is whipping the trees.  The blossoms won't like it much especially if it goes on for too long. 

It is nice to be cosy inside looking out.  the may bush boughs are bobbing up and down with the wind, their heavily laden arms always remind me of bridal veils.  I watered my garden yesterday afternoon.  Rain had been promised all week but hadn't shown itself so I decided to give it all a drink particularly the plants I had put in on Sunday along with some dynamic lifter scattered around the whole garden.  I did water it all in well but somehow rain always does the job a lot better so this will be appreciated.


This morning my cat door finally went into one of the windows in my kitchen!!!  I have been waiting for about 6 months to get it done and it is very exciting to finally see it.  Now I just have to get Poppy used to it.  She didn't seem very impressed when I tried to get her to use it but I have my ways!!



I had researched cat doors for some time, wanting one that only let her in and not all the neighbourhood cats.  Found one called 'Sure flap' which is activated by the microchip that your cat has.  As this was something I had done soon after getting her it was a perfect solution. Going away for 2 months meant that she needed to have access other than me opening and closing doors on her whim.  Yes, yes, I know I have spoilt her but she is used to coming in and out during the day and the housesitter will be at work.

Decided to check out my freezer to see what goodies I had forgotten about. even though I have a list of what is there, I do forget to cross things off.  Found some date slice and a few cakes which I have neglected to label so will not know what they are till they have defrosted.  They will save me some time this weekend as I have several functions to attend on Saturday which is my usual baking day.

  It is good to have a little holiday from something, maybe especially when you love it, so that it doesn't get stale.  i need to think about an engagement/dessert cake for a fortnights time so will have to spend some time in the recipe books.  I am leaning toward a chocolate layer cake with mousse in between the layers.





 In the meantime I made Lemon Meringue Pie which is my very favourite pie.  From making the dough, to rolling it out, to pouring in the lovely, lemony filling and spreading out the luxuriously white meringue to eating it, I enjoy every step.a lemon meringue pie which has to be my very favourite pie.  From making and rolling out the pastry to spreading the luxuriously white meringue to eating it, I enjoy every stage.

As you can see by the amount of dough I had, there was lots to spare so now I have 2 uncooked bases in the freezer plus a partially rolled out slab.
 When I was ready to pour the custard into the pie crust I found that it was just a little too thick so added a touch more water and blitzed it with my trusty sunbeam stick mixer.  This made it lighter in colour and really creamy.  A fact which was remarked upon by several eaters of same pie!






baking, baking, baking!!


Cannot wait to dig in
This recipe is from the Womens Weekly Pies and Tarts cookbook.  The lemon filling is made from scratch and not with condensed milk.  I actually love the recipe with condensed milk but also enjoy making the custard the traditional way. 

Enjoy!

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment