Monday 10 October 2011

Peanut Caramel slice and Magnolia Trees

really doesn't do it justice

          These two things don’t ordinarily go together however I happened to be baking one the same week as I was photographing the other so in my mind they are linked.

          Around the corner from where I live there is a block of units that has a small strip of garden and I mean, a small strip, in front. 

The plants are generally nondescript but for the magnificent magnolia tree which rewards all who drive past her each august, with a glorious show of blooms. 
There are many magnolia trees around town including some very large ones in the park where I walk but this one has an impact that the others don’t  share.   Perhaps because it is in front of a very ordinary block of 3-4 units which otherwise have no redeeming features. 
erot meaning to be critical of those who are living there as they didn’t choose the design in the first place or the lack of privacy that comes from being situated on a corner of two fairly busy roads and their front doors looking straight onto one of those roads with no fence softening the blow of constant movement and noise. 

close up of the blooms gives a better idea of the overall splendour

          Back to the tree.  This has been a favourite of my daughter and me for some time and as this year she has been living overseas and is unable to appreciate the display I took photos at various stages to send her so that she wasn’t missing out.  Mind you, she had some lovely spring blooms in her own spring but they aren’t around the corner from where she grew up so aren’t as special!!  I think. 


       

   So that was the reason for the magnolia blossom photos.  There was a reason for the peanut caramel slice apart from the fact that I love it and only make it if I am taking it somewhere as it is one of those things I find irrestible.

  Also anything with lemon.

 And chocolate.

 Which makes way too many things that I can’t resist and that really MUST be resisted for the sake of my waist line.  And my hips.

Anyway.  This slice is from the trusty Womens Weekly Biscuit Book which has been my faithful companion for 28 years. The recipe calls for peanuts but it is very delicious and a tad more luxurious with mixed nuts.



BASE
125gms butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1 cup plain flour
1/4 cup self raising flour
2 tablespoons custard powder or cornflour
1/4 teaspoon salt


 *cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy
* mix in egg yolk
*add flours, custard powder or cornflour and salt, mixing to a firm dough
*press mix into the base of a greased and lined 18cm x 28cm tin
*bake in moderate oven 15 minutes till golden
*remove from oven
* scatter with roughly chopped peanuts
*pour over topping and return to oven for an extra five minutes.
*cool in tin before cutting

TOPPING

1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon golden syrup
90 gms butter
125 gms roasted unsalted peanuts

*put all ingredients but nuts into a small pan
*stir over ow heat until butter is melted and sugar dissolved
*simmer gently 5 minutes

I wonder  how long  you will be able to resist this deliciousness?

Enjoy
Jo
 

No comments:

Post a Comment