Monday 15 August 2011

I can't believe that it is a month since I posted!  A combination of;
* I haven't photographed enough of the steps of a recipe and life have obviously gotten in the way.

 Blogging is quite time consuming and I probably haven't mastered the art of doing it quickly as far as putting in the photos precisely where I want them so that makes putting aside the time to get it done tricky when life gets in the way. 

 This is getting written now because it is nearly 3am and I haven't been to sleep yet.  Two cups of tea and a few crackers haven't helped, although I did enjoy them.  My cat sleeps soundly beside me despite my constant tossing, turning, putting on the light and then typing in bed next to her.

So..I have been cooking quite a lot just lately, how unusual!! 

Last week I made coffee walnut biscotti.I haven't made biscotti for ages and it suddenly popped into my mind.I found this recipe last Easter on the food buzz website. 

http://www.foodbuzz.com/blogs - homemade chocolate dipped pecan biscotti
 The basic recipe is actually for pecan and chocolate biscotti but of course I have changed it each time depending on just what is in my pantry.
  
As I had walnuts and a yen to make a coffee something that is the flavour I ended up with.
I have tried several different mixes for biscotti. Some are very moist and tricky to work with, some don't slice all that well, crumbling at the edges,some don't give you a good yield and I do like value for my money.
                    
                       

 This mix does well on all counts.
 When I was putting the mix together I did sort of forget that the lemon rind in the original recipe might not actually go with the addition of coffee so I thoughtlessly tossed it in as well.  I think I got carried away with the look of the all that beautiful yellow rind in its little pile. 

I always flour my board liberally as otherwise the moist mix does stick to everything like concrete. Unlike other biscotti mixes this is shaped a bit differently, more oblong than a log and I do like the shape it gives once sliced.  Obviously none of this is vital to the ultimate taste so whatever you like is fine.





 The hard part of baking these is waiting for the second baking and chocolate dipping to be finished!



                              Enjoy!

               Jo



No comments:

Post a Comment