Thursday 23 June 2011

LEMON BUTTER

Today I decided to make lemon butter.  What's not to love about lemon butter?  Tangy, smooth, buttery, delicious spread on just about anything including as a filling for little cakes, big cakes, tarts, the list goes on.

I have been using my mum's recipe for lemon butter for over 30 years now. Every time I make it I feel as though she is just in the next room.  The wonderful thing about handing down recipes is that you have a piece of that person with you each time you use it even when they are not around any more.

 when I first began using the recipe I was living in Townsville where we had a lemon and a ruby grapefruit tree, providing us with an abundance of fruits which required a variety of recipes to make use of this abundance in an effort to avoid wastage.

That was the only time for years that I had a good lemon tree
and even though I have had one in my current backyard for some years, due to the nasty little orange bug that loves citrus and which returns persistently despite regular attacks with the appropriate spray, I have had little to no fruit.  Last March I sprayed the tree with white oil which had been recommended by a garden centre and this seems to have done the trick.  It has needed respraying but if I get a bumper crop of lemons it will be worth it.


I simply can't manage without lemons.  they are vital to so many recipes, sweet and savoury.  Only if they are really expensive do I not have ANY in the fridge and if I am able to access them from someones tree I am delighted.  When using only the juice, if the rind is fairly unblemished I throw it into a bag and freeze it as grating frozen lemon halves is easy and that way I haven't wasted it.  You do get cold hands but it is a small price to pay.  There are so many recipes that call for a teaspoon of lemon rind and it is very annoying not to have it.

check out the colour
Just lately I have had access to home grown eggs and the difference in the colour of the yolks compared to store bought eggs is remarkable.  The colour of everything you cook with them is enhanced 100%.  Even the fact that they are sometimes dirty doesn't take away the pleasure of knowing they are so fresh although I do wash them all before I use them as it just puts me off otherwise.  I admit I'm a sook.



rind, butter, sugar, juice
Some of today's batch is destined as a filling for lemon meringue cupcakes which I am making for an afternoon tea on Saturday.  I plan to make a batch of plain batter enhanced with a good dollop of lemon zest and topped with Italian meringue.
More on that another day.
MUM'S LEMON BUTTER

4 medium lemons
2 cups sugar
125gms butter
5 eggs
1 tablespoon plain flour

*finely grate rind and juice lemons
*place rind, juice, sugar and butter into bowl over simmering water
*stir frequently till butter is melted and sugar dissolved - this can be done in the microwave on low if you prefer.
*whisk eggs well with flour
*add to other mix an stir frequently over water until thick
* have ready clean and sterilised jars
*pour into jars, seal and cool
*makes about 700 mls
ready to spread, fill or just pour!!

Enjoy

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment